Festivals in India are more than just religious or cultural celebrations; they are a vibrant kaleidoscope of colour, music, food, and, increasingly, love. Festive dating, a growing trend among Gen Zers and Millennials in India, has taken centre stage, according to a recent study by Bumble.
Rise of Festival Dating
The study reveals that a significant 63% of Indians surveyed are eager to embrace festival dating. For them, festivals are more than just a time for cultural observance; they are an opportunity to celebrate with a special someone and enjoy the company of a partner during these joyous occasions.
From the colourful pandals of Durga Puja to the twinkling lights of Diwali, festivals in India offer a unique atmosphere for romantic connections. The blend of chartbuster foot-tapping songs, authentic festival food stalls, and delicious sweets creates the perfect backdrop for budding relationships. And, of course, the chance to dress in the best ethnic attire adds an extra layer of allure.
How Indians Enjoy Festivals
When away from their hometowns, Indians have various preferences for celebrating festivals. The study reveals that 36% of those surveyed prefer to go out with their friends, while 27% choose to enjoy festivities with their partners. Notably, 18% of respondents opt for festival dating, seeking dates for festive parties and celebrations when they’re away from home.
Top Festival Dating Rituals
Festival rituals offer the perfect opportunities for couples to bond. According to the study, 48% of Indians indulge in shopping together, and 43% enjoy festival gifting for their loved ones. Attending festive parties with their dates or partners is a choice for 42% of respondents, while 40% like to perform pujas together or adorn their homes with festive decor.
Navigating Festival Pressures
Despite the joy that festivals bring, they can also usher in familial and societal pressures related to dating. The study found that 30% of Indians feel self-conscious about being single during festivals. 32% believe festivals can be lonely without a date, and a similar percentage feel pressured to find a date just for the festive season, particularly among Millennials.
Tips for Festival Dating
To make the most of festival dating, Ruchi Ruuh, a Relationship Expert at Bumble, offers some valuable advice:
1. Normalizing Feelings: Loneliness during festivals is a common experience. It’s essential to acknowledge these feelings and take time to decide on your dating preferences.
2. Stay True to Yourself: Avoid comparing yourself to others and date on your terms and timelines. Only date someone if they genuinely interest you.
3. Self-Love: Prioritize self-love and self-care during the festive season. You can enjoy the festivities with or without a partner.
4. Embrace Spontaneity: Be open to spontaneous festival plans and embrace the surprises that come your way. It’s an opportunity to discover new facets of yourself and your date.
5. Enjoy Dating: Remember that dating should be enjoyable. Don’t rush into intimate gatherings with your new date. Instead, focus on planning romantic dates to get to know each other better.
In India, festival dating is not just a passing trend; it’s a delightful way for young adults to explore connections, share traditions, and create lasting memories during the festive season. So, as the festivities approach, embrace the joy, the love, and the enchantment of festival dating.